6/3/11

More BIRDS, few words - Uttarakhand 2011


Usually my travelogues are quite verbose ; unfolding all the bits and bobs....about the journey, the food, the vehicles, the roads, the safaris, the beauties, the beasts of the jungle and so on…… once again, I have numerous anecdotes to share from the recent trip – however this time I’m keeping it to the minimum here – More BIRDS than WORDS !!
Mesmesrising colours from the Himalays- White Browed Shrike Babbler

Exploraing the wildernerss - in quest of the rare ones !
Up the hills - Where Eagles soar

Wilderness unplugged - the jungle lore !

The surroundings -abode to all those amazing species
Beginning of summer in Indian jungles has always been an obsession for me. This precisely was the motive fuelling my India visit in mid-April.
Call of the wild

The legacy forest rest house At Dhikala (Corbett)
Inside the tent - at Sattal Birding Camp - what a pleasure !
All my travel logistics were brilliantly done by Foliage, Pune – as always.
Staying in the wonderful Sattal Birding camp and Jungle lore lodge up the hills was another delight. Both these places are a real fruitful venture for any nature lover.
In addition to being located in some beautiful environs and lovely settings, all the staff members (cooks, guides, drivers) provide you such a warm and hospitality that you cannot resist visiting them again and again. On top of that - the internal décor of these lodges and collection of murals, terracotta, wall hangings are thoughtfully selected and so complimenting to the mood and spirit of birding enthusiasts, that it makes your stay – not merely a stay but a lifetime enjoyable experience.
Icing on the cake was the wonderful company of “Lokesh Kumar”. More than being just a guide for me..he is a superb birding companion all around and has got some excellent spotting and observational skills. His presence and assistance was indeed a great asset for me!


My guide companion Lokesh looking for something rare !


The Corbett country - a different meaning for every wildlifer

Enchanting Pheasant habitat - land of suspenses and surprises


The characterisstics slopes of Himalaya -rice fields
After finishing Corbett NP in the inital part - the real excitment started moving high up towards Vinayak – and on the very first morning, the maiden sighting turned out to be a glorious one – the elusive “Koklass pheasant ..can’t expect a better start of the day than this !

Koklass Pheasant - Indeed a rarity


Call of the casanova - A Koklass pheasant calling out to its female
And from there on, for the next three days in Sattal area - the birds were raining….....Tits, Thrushes, Leiothrixes, Minlas, Woodpeckers, Tree-pies, Flycatchers, Warblers, Owls and owlets, Forktails, Eagles, Sunbirds, Babblers and the list never ends…. an extensive feast of feathers all around !Out of these heaps of images – I can only share a few here….hope that’s a glimpse good enough to share the immense joy that this summer visit provided me! Rest of the images- I will try to upload on my website in due course of time, watch the space on – http://www.saleeltambe.com/

Green Magpie - magical greens

Spot Winged Tit

White Crested Laughing Thrush
Striated Laughing Thrush



Forktails - Charm of Sattal


Some lifers for me -Black Throated Sunbird

The cute - Black throated Tit


Tesia - the tiny wonder in the bushes


Fire on its tail !

The streaked dancer of Kumaon


Green Backed Tit



Grey Hooded Warbler


The colourful companions - Leiothrix

The familiar face of Himalays


Red Junglefowl - the feel of wilderness

Woody at work

Shikra -eyeing on its prey



Drying up after a dip - Verditer flycatcher


Plethroa of colours - White eye relishing April nectar

Mistle thrush

Carving the curve




Rhododendron dwellers

Pied Bushchat


Woody again !


Some Corbett NP highlights -


The initial two days of my visit were scheduled in Corbett NP area. But honestly speaking I found the Corbett NP habitat to be degraded a bit. It didn’t seem to me as charming as it used to be earlier. Probably this was partly due to the impact of severe floods last year. I could not sense the usual lure of Dhikala chaur and the Sambar road area was lacking its popular cadence. However, Corbett vicinity rewarded me with some good Avifauna and obviously some pachyderm excitement. A charge by a “mast” Elephant (image below) – was a bonus !


A challenging charge


I encountered a very diverse kind of accident this time inside Corbett NP. As my gypsy was heading towards the waterhole on Sambar road – A tiger was sighted near Khinnauli area. A whole convoy of vehicles started getting into the crazy tiger frenzy and the noise levels started booming up. I guess almost every vehicle present in the jungle crowded at the hotspot.
In all that psychosis – my driver tried to shove the vehicle through the extreme left side of the dirt track. His adrenalin rush could not speculate a big rock hidden under the undergrowth and with that stony bump- the vehicle jerked almost like an earthquake.
I was holding one of my camera body in my hand with a 100-400mm zoom lens, whereas the other body with the big prime lens & a converter was lying on the rear seat cushion. With this unexpected shock – the second body and the big lens assembly got tossed like a football and within the next fraction of second, I could observe a few springs, rings and broken pieces……Oh my God….I could not believe the manner in which my equipment was shattered into pieces. For a few minutes ..it was total dark in front of my eyes !
Being terribly annoyed – I asked the driver to immediately leave the so called “tiger hotspot” and come back to the resort. On a closer inspection, I discovered that the luck was still with me – though partly. The converter being the weakest link in the whole assembly – got ripped apart. My lens and body was still working fine and was not damaged.
But still it was a big despair - as the major part of my trip was still remaining. With this damage and the disappointment for the rest of the trip – I was feeling very dejected.
Suddenly the next morning – my gypsy crossed another gypsy on the jungle route – where I met a gentleman Mr Shahnawaz Khan from Delhi moving around with his equipment. I had never seen / known Shahnawaz before…may be we knew each other via facebook images or so…but as soon as I started with my story to him…before I could even complete my sentence…he pulled out a converter out of his bag and offered it straight to me…so that I carry on my trip uniterrupted……!!!
I don’t have words to thank him for this big-hearted help and all the joy of my trip and all the images are dedicated to his generosity! Else, right in the middle of a deep jungle- there was no way for me to obtain a replacement for my broken piece of equipment
I was overwhelmed by this wonderful and precious facet of friendship in the wilderness….something to cherish by all means !!
End of the day ( and the trip too !)

12 comments:

the g said...

Hi Saleel,

It was a great read.

Do you insure your kit when you travel ?

Rgds
G

Indian Wildlife said...

absolutely brilliant!

Arjun Haarith said...

Hello Sir,
Excellent report . The details are very informative. Amazing pictures of the endemic birds of North. All are very colorful and incredible.
Thanks,
Arjun

Abhijit said...

Fantasticcccc!!! :-)

Maddy said...

Excellent write up...The snaps are really mind blowing..

Regards
Subramanya

deepak said...

Wonderful Images & a walk thru' experience!

Wild Vandana said...

Lovely report and excellent pictures, inspite of the mishaps!

Dilip Lokre said...

Excellent and Wonderful Images
Dilip Lokre

Sagar Gosavi said...

Great sir.
Great documentation and pictures as always ..
When we reached Dhikala..came to know that you left frm there jist few min before we arrived .. So just missed meeting you there. :)

Regards,
Sagar Gosavi

TITLI said...

Lovely pics, Saleel. Rhe next time you visit UK, remember we live here! Cheer SS

Diksha said...

beautiful and rather extraordinary pictures of the north.The first time i logged in , i couldn`t stop myself tofind for more wonders of nature.
regards,
Diksha.

Avi said...

Beautiful pictures and write-up. enjoyed the cyber-journey of your experiences.